Read time: 7 minutes
So you’re on your way to growing a full and healthy beard. Nice work! Getting the most of your beard and getting it looking its neat, healthy best requires some regular maintenance and care.
We get many questions from our customers about this daily, so we created a simple and straightforward guide on maintaining your beard. Read on to learn about the simple things you can do to get your beard looking its best!
1. Always start with a good beard wash
It’s always best to start with a clean beard. Beard washes not only remove dirt, residue build up and excess oils but also condition the hairs, making them easier to work with. Any products you apply afterwards will also absorb more efficiently.
2. Trim where needed
As your beard gets longer, you’ll start to notice that not every hair grows in the same direction. This is where a beard trimmer or beard scissors comes to the rescue. But which one should you use? Here’s an easy breakdown:
- Beard trimmers: Best for removing large amounts of hair. Use these if you want to trim longer beards to make them shorter in length. We recommend starting with a longer clip to prevent trimming too short on your first run, then slowly working your way down the sizes until you get the length you want.
- Beard scissors: Best for minimal trimming. Use these if it’s only a few stray hairs that need snipping to keep your beard looking tidy and well-kept. These can also be used after the beard trimmer to refine any stray hairs you might have missed.
That said, these are completely optional to use. If you’ve washed your beard and you like what you already see, feel free to skip this step.
3. Use a beard brush
Work the brush through your beard to remove any loose hairs left over from trimming. Doing this also distributes the natural hair oils throughout the beard and helps to bring stray hairs into line. When you’ve combed it a few times, the next step is keeping the hair conditioned with beard oil or beard balm.
4. Apply beard oil or beard balm
Should you use beard oil or a beard balm? Generally, this decision comes down to personal preference as both do a great job of hydrating and conditioning beards. However, as a rule of thumb, beard oils work well with short beards, whereas beard balms suit longer beards. Here’s a quick rundown on how to use each:
- Beard oils: Place a few drops of beard oil into the palm of your hands, then rub them together to spread the product. Apply by running your hands through your beard. Don’t forget the skin underneath to prevent dryness and flaking.
- Beard balms: Take out an almond-sized amount using the back of your thumbnail, move the product to your palms and rub together to spread it evenly. Apply by running your hands through your beard. Don’t forget the skin underneath to prevent dryness and flaking. Due to the thicker texture, you might need to put a bit more time and effort in applying the product throughout your beard.
After applying your oil or balm, it's a good idea to run your beard brush through the beard a few more times to the product is evenly distributed. Do these easy steps daily and you’re on track for a healthy and luscious beard!